Meijer Indy 300 Results
Posted: 01 August 2009 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]  
All Star
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2123
Joined  2008-06-19

The Indy Racing League instituted a variety of options for the Series’ return to oval courses, in the hopes of increasing the competitiveness of the races, and they worked perfectly.  Scott Dixon and Ryan Briscoe pulled away from the rest of the field early, but the last segment of the race saw Briscoe, Ed Carpenter, Tony Kanaan, and Helio Castroneves pack together, with Briscoe and Carpenter racing side by side to the end, with Briscoe finally gaining an 0.0162 second advantage at the finish line.  Carpenter collected his best ever finish of second.  It was the 11th closest finish in IndyCar history, and the 2nd fastest race at 200.893 mph average speed.

Carpenter led 34 laps.  Before tonight he had led a total of 4 laps in his IndyCar Series career.  He advanced from 14th to 2nd.  Will Power moved from 20th to 9th.  Sarah Fisher moved from 22nd to 12th.  With the win, Ryan Briscoe moves into the championship lead over Scott Dixon and Dario Franchitti.

Results

1 - Ryan Briscoe
2 - Ed Carpenter
3 - Tony Kanaan
4 - Helio Castroneves
5 - Graham Rahal
6 - Dario Franchitti
7 - Scott Dixon
8 - Danica Patrick
9 - Will Power
10 - Marco Andretti
11 - Dan Wheldon
12 - Sarah Fisher
13 - Hideki Mutoh
14 - Ryan Hunter-Reay -3
15 - E.J. Viso -3
16 - Raphael Matos -4
17 - Mike Conway -8
18 - Mario Moraes -12
19 - Robert Doornbos -15
20 - Milka Duno -35
21 - Justin Wilson 120 laps, Mechanical
22 - Tomas Scheckter 59 laps, Mechanical
23 - Jaques Lazier 43 laps, Mechanical

Ryan Briscoe led 6 times for 37 laps
Ed Carpenter led 5 times for 34 laps
Will Power led 4 times for 29 laps
Scott Dixon led 3 times for 95 laps
Helio Castroneves led 1 time for 2 laps
Danica Patrick led 1 time for 2 laps
Tony Kanaan led 1 time for 1 lap

The 2009 IndyCar Championship is shaping up to be a three-way contest between Ryan Briscoe, Scott Dixon, and Dario Franchitti.  4th place Helio Castroneves is 75 points out of the lead, effectively putting him out of contention with only five more races.

1 - Ryan Briscoe 416 pts
2 - Scott Dixon -8
3 - Dario Franchitti -11

The next race is at Mid-Ohio, Sunday August 9 at 1:00pm on VERSUS.

[ Edited: 01 August 2009 10:47 PM by Thick McRunfast ]

Posted: 01 August 2009 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Veteran
RankRank
Total Posts:  305
Joined  2008-11-07

The final 40 laps or so were truly riveting.

Indy car side-by-side racing has been a rarity on the oval courses.  Hopefully the new “passing power” rules benefit more tracks.

Big-ups for Ed Carpenter, in an epic David vs. Goliath battle with Penske Racing at the finish.  His post race interview was honest and insightful, all at once.  I was pulling for the underdog, sitting on the edge of my seat.  Good job, Ed, driving that car to the front.

I have to admit that this oval was a nice respite from the road courses. 

r.

Posted: 02 August 2009 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
All Star
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2123
Joined  2008-06-19
rodco - 01 August 2009 11:36 PM

The final 40 laps or so were truly riveting.

Indy car side-by-side racing has been a rarity on the oval courses.  Hopefully the new “passing power” rules benefit more tracks.

Big-ups for Ed Carpenter, in an epic David vs. Goliath battle with Penske Racing at the finish.  His post race interview was honest and insightful, all at once.  I was pulling for the underdog, sitting on the edge of my seat.  Good job, Ed, driving that car to the front.

I have to admit that this oval was a nice respite from the road courses. 

r.

Yeah, I have new found respect for Carpenter after that race and the interview.  It’ll be interesting to see if this will be a sort of break through race for him, as he had always been a usual mid-pack finisher.  I wouldn’t mind seeing a few more drivers getting wins.  Though she wasn’t really mentioned a lot, Sarah Fisher ran a hell of a race too, and might have even been a threat to win if she hadn’t started so far back.  Still, she did great considering how small and how new her team is.  Will Power I think showed tremendous ability as well, moving up from 20th to 9th and even leading a good chunk of laps.  Tony Kanaan may be turning his season around after that disastrous race last weekend with his 3rd place finish at Kentucky.  A shame it took this long, as he would’ve been a strong contender in the championship.  And of course, Graham Rahal posted an unusually high finish of 5th, so that’s real good for him. 

I wouldn’t mind seeing Carpenter, Fisher, Power, and Rahal becoming regular winners or high-finishers in the Series - Carpenter because he honestly needs to win already, or his ride at Vision will keep looking all the more unearned; Fisher because it’d be good for the Series if she was a constant threat - she’s still immensely popular, and she’s trying to find success with a new team.  Power and Rahal both have the potential to be superstars, and they are both proven winners.  Rahal needs to do better on the ovals, which he has been, gradually, and Power needs a full time ride. 

In all honesty, I think Power is having the best season of anybody - six races, six top-tens.  Finished 6th and 2nd in the first two races, both road courses.  He missed Kansas, the only oval before Indianapolis, but still put up an impressive finish of 5th while running the best race there outside of Dan Wheldon and Townsend Bell.  He then missed the next five races, but returned strong with a 3rd place finish at Toronto and a 1st at Edmonton.  He now finishes 9th at Kentucky after starting 20th due to his few amount of championship points.  If he sticks with Penske, I think he will win a lot more, and hopefully Penske is able to get him a full-time ride next year.

I’m glad Briscoe won, though.  He’s one of my favorites.