Humber Humbled
Posted: 27 April 2012 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  37051
Joined  2006-10-10

Where’s your messiah now?

Sorry, that was a Ten Commandments moment. I’m better now.

“This game will humble you,” said Humber, who’s still waiting to become a first-time parent with his expectant wife, Kristan. “It will make you feel good one day and make you feel bad the next.

“You’ve got to take every game as its own game, and Saturday was one game, and tonight was one game. I’m going to keep working and battling and hopefully next time will be better.”

The Red Sox (8-10) scored two in the first and then put up a crooked number of five in the third, highlighted by Kevin Youkilis’ opposite-field grand slam to right. Those five runs came home on just three hits, as Humber allowed home runs to Youkilis and Jarrod Saltalamacchia, but he also walked Adrian Gonzalez and David Ortiz. After Humber worked a perfect fourth, Saltalamacchia took him deep again in the fifth.

Unlike his perfect game, Humber’s slider disappeared in the series opener. His day ended with eight hits, three walks and 115 pitches.

Signature 

It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without violence.

Posted: 27 April 2012 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Hall of Famer
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15522
Joined  2007-11-23

I was surprised that Robin Ventura left Humber out there long enough to give up 9 runs, when Humber clearly didn’t have his best stuff. Kevin Youkilis and Saltalamacchia combined to hit three home runs and drive in seven runs. Not bad for No.6 and No.7 hitters.

Lillibridge leads the AL in stolen bases with 5, even though he has only batted 19 times, but has done some pinch-running.

I am not too worried about Humber yet. Baseball will humble a pitcher coming off a perfect game in a hurry, especially when four runs score on a grand slam homer.

Danks and Peavy get a chance to right the ship in the next two games against pitchers with losing records.

White Sox are the only AL Central team to score more runs than they have given up with a +8 for the season.

Signature 

I sign every autograph I can for kids because I remember myself at that age. I think it’s ridiculous that some guys won’t sign for a kid.

Jim Thome

Posted: 27 April 2012 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-10

I think he left him in to keep the pen fresh. This is going to be a long series and they just got off a road trip without a break.

Signature 

It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without violence.

Posted: 27 April 2012 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Hall of Famer
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15522
Joined  2007-11-23
BigBadBill - 27 April 2012 11:52 AM

I think he left him in to keep the pen fresh. This is going to be a long series and they just got off a road trip without a break.

That makes sense, plus Humber may be getting a paternity leave soon, when his wife has the baby. I think Humber is level-headed enough to handle the loss, right after his perfect game.

Signature 

I sign every autograph I can for kids because I remember myself at that age. I think it’s ridiculous that some guys won’t sign for a kid.

Jim Thome

Posted: 27 April 2012 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  41683
Joined  2006-10-06

Trade Humber for Kane.

Signature 

“Fuck the kingsguard, fuck the city, fuck the king.”

M: You don’t trust anyone, do you?
James Bond: No.
M: Then you’ve learned your lesson.

Posted: 27 April 2012 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
All Star
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  3493
Joined  2012-01-11

What concerns me most is the 3 L’s in a row.

Signature 

"When the going gets weird the weird turn pro” -HST

“Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand” -MT

“ Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one’s definition of your life, but define yourself.” HSF

Posted: 27 April 2012 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-10

Eh, they concern me and they don’t. Let’s see where they’re at when this home-stand is over and then I’ll know whether to pound bourbon for breakfast.

Signature