The Stupidest Baseball Column Ever Written
Posted: 12 June 2012 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  36917
Joined  2006-10-10

JOHN GROCHOWSKI writes that one run games don’t tell you how good a team is. Then produces stat after stat showing that winning teams do better in one run games than losing teams. And then ignores thsoe stats.

From 2007 to 2011, the 20 teams that made the NL playoffs had a .565 winning percentage overall. In an average of 46 one-run decisions per team, that dropped to .543. In the American League, the difference was even larger. The 20 AL playoff teams had a .585 winning percentage overall, but it was only .544 in just less than 46 one-run games per team.

What about the poor teams? A look at the last-place finishers in each division from 2007 to 2011 found the 15 NL cellar-dwellers had an overall winning percentage of .404, but it was .434 in one-run decisions. In the AL, the percentages were .416 overall and .462 in one-run decisions.

In other words, losing teams had losing records no matter what and winning teams had winning records and their winning records were better than the losing records so ...... ARGGGHHHHH!

Signature 

It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without violence.

Posted: 12 June 2012 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2008-08-05

*disclaimer* I have not read this article nor will I. This is just based on the quote.

I think what he’s trying to point out is that the good teams win below their average in 1 run games and bad teams win above their average in 1 run games. This should be expected as 1 run games are more of a 50/50 outcome no matter how good or bad teams are. I’m not going to defend the smartness or dumbness of this writer but it looks like a “dur good teams win more than bad teams; but if we throw out how we gauge success (W/L) then we can have bad teams be good too” type column.

Posted: 12 June 2012 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  41475
Joined  2006-10-06

Breaking balls are terrific pitches to win more 1 run games.

This should be the next project for Bill James.

Signature 

“Fuck the kingsguard, fuck the city, fuck the king.”

M: You don’t trust anyone, do you?
James Bond: No.
M: Then you’ve learned your lesson.

Posted: 12 June 2012 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Hall of Famer
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15444
Joined  2007-11-23
BigBadBill - 12 June 2012 08:59 AM

JOHN GROCHOWSKI writes that one run games don’t tell you how good a team is. Then produces stat after stat showing that winning teams do better in one run games than losing teams. And then ignores thsoe stats.

From 2007 to 2011, the 20 teams that made the NL playoffs had a .565 winning percentage overall. In an average of 46 one-run decisions per team, that dropped to .543. In the American League, the difference was even larger. The 20 AL playoff teams had a .585 winning percentage overall, but it was only .544 in just less than 46 one-run games per team.

What about the poor teams? A look at the last-place finishers in each division from 2007 to 2011 found the 15 NL cellar-dwellers had an overall winning percentage of .404, but it was .434 in one-run decisions. In the AL, the percentages were .416 overall and .462 in one-run decisions.

In other words, losing teams had losing records no matter what and winning teams had winning records and their winning records were better than the losing records so ...... ARGGGHHHHH!

bonk Mr. Grochowski has me so confused that I don’t have a clue what he is talking about.

Signature 

I sign every autograph I can for kids because I remember myself at that age. I think it’s ridiculous that some guys won’t sign for a kid.

Jim Thome