Is this necessary?
Posted: 14 November 2007 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10074
Joined  2006-10-09

Another men’s postseason college basketball tourney has been announced in addition to the NCAA and NIT.

Another one?

What good can come of this other than more travel expenses for the have nots that get in? And, who will televise it? The kicker may be the best of 3 finals. Any thoughts… other than we hope the Illini aren’t invited. It sounds like they will go after NIT teams. This could be interesting.

Ah, hell, why not have competition? Now that I think about it the NCAA can be a pain in the ass. Plus they let Billy Packer(F**ktard) have TV time during the selection show.

Signature 

If ignorance is bliss shouldn’t there be more happy people running around?

Posted: 14 November 2007 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
All Star
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2071
Joined  2006-10-08

Answer, of course is no.  In the early ‘70s, before the NCAA tournament was expanded, a third tournament featured the conference runner-ups.  The play was pretty good, but it was more an effort by the NCAA to try to put the NIT out of business.

ftfsign or at least make him cover this tournament.

Signature 

ftfsign  Ask and you will receive.

Posted: 14 November 2007 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Hall of Famer
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14075
Joined  2007-03-15

IN all honesty, what kind of teams are going to get in to it?  You are going to get the 500 teams or below.  Its going to be bad basketball and nothing good will come of it.  I predict it will be gone in about 3 years.

Signature 

Fighting to take down the East Coast Bias one person at a time

http://www.milwaukeeroadtrip.com

Posted: 14 November 2007 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  23816
Joined  2006-10-07

I’ve got nothing against the pre-season tournaments. It allow those of us who truly have a “Basketball Jones” (5 bananas to anyone who gets the reference enough to name where it came from, who did it, and the main character) like to see the different match-ups and the upsets.

Post-season is another story. I don’t what the solution is. There are some teams that deserve a bid that don’t get it and others the don’t deserve one and do. At least it’s (the NCAA) a tournament and not a contrivance like the BCS (Benign Chump Shit???). If they added one more round (to 128 teams) it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world and would probably do away with the need for the NIT.

Signature 

I only watch TV if someone is keeping score.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent Isaac Asimov

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.  Groucho Marx

Ubi caritas et amor, deus ibi est

Trying to make anything completely foolproof underestimates the ingenuity of complete fools. Douglas Adams

Posted: 14 November 2007 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Hall of Famer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-15

In my opinion, adding another round would be a horrible thing.  The thing that makes the tourney so great is the fact that it is a reward for doing well.  One of the biggest issues I have with the current bowl system is that almost half the teams get a bowl game.  It starts to loose its meaning.  It doesn’t carry the same weight.  Who really cares if a team when to the Emerald City San Francisco Bowl or whatever it was.  The wonderful thing about the current NCAA march tournament is that it is an honor to get there.  I think its less then 25% of Division I teams are ellegable.  I don’t think it needs to be watered down any more.

Signature 

Posted: 15 November 2007 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-09

It allow those of us who truly have a “Basketball Jones” (5 bananas to anyone who gets the reference enough to name where it came from, who did it, and the main character)

Cheech and Chong and Basketball Jones. Late seventies, early eighties.

Signature 

Posted: 15 November 2007 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  37221
Joined  2006-10-10
Hino - 15 November 2007 09:09 AM

It allow those of us who truly have a “Basketball Jones” (5 bananas to anyone who gets the reference enough to name where it came from, who did it, and the main character)

Cheech and Chong and Basketball Jones. Late seventies, early eighties.

Close hombre. 1973, Tyrone Shoelaces was the main character and it became a cartoon in 74. You got the Cheech and Chong part right, though. Okay, after I typed this I went looking for the cartoon. I didn’t find the video, but I did find the still I am posting below.

Now, back on point, this new tourney is a bad idea, driven by stupid ideas and will only lead to more kids thinking that they can make the NBA with a 1.5 GPA and no jumper or D.

Image Attachments
Basketball_Jones.jpg
 Signature 

It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without violence.

Posted: 15 November 2007 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-09

I forgot the name and exact date, plus I was too lazy/busy at work to look it up.

“That Bassetball was like a bassetball to me.”

Signature 

Posted: 15 November 2007 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  23816
Joined  2006-10-07

Ding, ding, ding, ding

We have a Winner!

BBB, gets the five bananas

dbanana  dbanana  dbanana  dbanana  dbanana

Bonus round...For another five bananas

Name the other character in the song and what his relationship to it is.

Signature 

I only watch TV if someone is keeping score.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent Isaac Asimov

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.  Groucho Marx

Ubi caritas et amor, deus ibi est

Trying to make anything completely foolproof underestimates the ingenuity of complete fools. Douglas Adams

Posted: 15 November 2007 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  37221
Joined  2006-10-10

Do ya better than that. I found the cartoon. Some idiot had the search words misspelled. I guess Ed posted it.

Signature 

It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without violence.

Posted: 15 November 2007 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Hall of Famer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-15

That was cold man, that was cold.

Signature 

Posted: 15 November 2007 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15866
Joined  2006-10-09

Wow basketball Jones is one cool dude- what Cheech and Chong?

Signature 

I’m an eight time recipeint of the Microsoft Most Valuable Professional award. I studied Computer Science at Kennesaw State here in Georiga with a 4.0 GPA. I’ve had articles published in computer publications, both paid for by the publisher and for free as a service to the programming community. I’ve served as a consultant and peer reviewer for a couple of computer programming books.
I also grew up across the street from a baseball diamond.. I know baseball