Posted: 31 January 2013 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  37051
Joined  2006-10-10

New, steroid free, post.

[ Edited: 01 February 2013 09:33 AM by BigBadBill ]
 Signature 

It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without violence.

Posted: 31 January 2013 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  41685
Joined  2006-10-06

If Lance Armstrong’s ass was black, he’d be in jail already.

Signature 

“Fuck the kingsguard, fuck the city, fuck the king.”

M: You don’t trust anyone, do you?
James Bond: No.
M: Then you’ve learned your lesson.

Posted: 31 January 2013 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-10

True that.

Signature 

It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without violence.

Posted: 31 January 2013 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  23476
Joined  2006-10-07

I understand exactly where you’re coming from B3. As a fellow south sider, I’ve also seen the good and the bad. Further, living in Georgia now, I can say quite frankly that these racial viewpoints are still quite common.

As all of our readers know, I was born and raised in Hyde Park. Hyde Park was integrated as far back as the early 1950’s. In fact, I went through a period when it wasn’t “some of my best friends...” but all of them were black.

Back on point, one of the guys I work with and I were having a sports coversation. I mentioned that I had played high school basketball. His reply was along the lines of, “But you didn’t play against any players.” I didn’t know exactly how to respond so I asked, “What do you mean by players?” He said, “You know. Black guys.” “Yes, I did,” I responded, and a curious look came over his face. He said, “Really??” I said sure since both Hyde Park High School (now Hyde Park Career Academy), was located between 62nd and 63rd and Stoney Island and Hales Franciscan were on our schedule. Both, at the time at least, were either predominately or completely black.

So, no racism hasn’t gone away, it’s just disguised better.

Signature 

I only watch TV if someone is keeping score.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent Isaac Asimov

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.  Groucho Marx

Ubi caritas et amor, deus ibi est

Posted: 31 January 2013 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Hall of Famer
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15522
Joined  2007-11-23

Major league baseball reportedly was founded in 1869, which was only four years after the Civil War ended. It would be 78 years later before Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in baseball.

Stan Musial once saw a bunch of his black teammates playing cards and went to the table and told them to deal him in. Just one more reason to admire Stan Musial. Still have not heard a negative word about Stan Musial and him letting himself be seen with his black teammates makes me admire him even more.

Signature 

I sign every autograph I can for kids because I remember myself at that age. I think it’s ridiculous that some guys won’t sign for a kid.

Jim Thome

Posted: 01 February 2013 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-10

Nite, there were black players before Jackie, it’s just that by 1890 the Jim Crow laws prevented them.

Signature 

Posted: 01 February 2013 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Hall of Famer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23
BigBadBill - 01 February 2013 09:40 AM

Nite, there were black players before Jackie, it’s just that by 1890 the Jim Crow laws prevented them.

I had heard of a black player with the last name of Walker playing. I should have mentioned about the others.

Signature 

I sign every autograph I can for kids because I remember myself at that age. I think it’s ridiculous that some guys won’t sign for a kid.

Jim Thome

Posted: 01 February 2013 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-07

And to think that this team used to be known as the Chicago White Stockings.

Signature 

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.  Groucho Marx

Posted: 01 February 2013 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
All Star
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  4636
Joined  2007-12-12

The thing that gets lost in the Jackie Robinson story is that credit is rarely given to commissioner Happy Chandler.  But for Chandler allowing Branch Rickey to sign Robinson, it would have happened much later.  Kennesaw Mountain Landis was a big reason baseball was not integrated sooner.

Signature 

God gave me this body.  I’m gonna STRUT it.

Posted: 01 February 2013 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Hall of Famer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23
dui_attorney - 01 February 2013 01:47 PM

The thing that gets lost in the Jackie Robinson story is that credit is rarely given to commissioner Happy Chandler.  But for Chandler allowing Branch Rickey to sign Robinson, it would have happened much later.  Kennesaw Mountain Landis was a big reason baseball was not integrated sooner.

Dui makes a great point about integration would not have been possible, without Happy Chandler giving his consent to signing Robinson.

Signature 

Jim Thome

Posted: 01 February 2013 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-10

KML liked him his white folks and only his white folks.

Signature 

Posted: 01 February 2013 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-07

It figures. Where do you think Kennesaw Mountain is? Yep, Georgia.

Signature 

Posted: 01 February 2013 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-06
SouthSideSlim - 01 February 2013 02:10 PM

It figures. Where do you think Kennesaw Mountain is? Yep, Georgia.

He was a judge from Chicago.

That is more relevant than some hill.

Signature 

Posted: 01 February 2013 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-07

His father was wounded in the battle of Kennesaw Mountain in the Civil War in 1864. Note that the spellings are different.

Signature 

Posted: 01 February 2013 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-06
SouthSideSlim - 01 February 2013 03:03 PM

His father was wounded in the battle of Kennesaw Mountain in the Civil War in 1864. Note that the spellings are different.

So what?

Negroes are not barred from organized baseball by the commissioner and never have been in the 21 years I have served. There is no rule in organized baseball prohibiting their participation and never has been to my knowledge. If Durocher, or if any other manager, or all of them, want to sign one, or twenty-five Negro players, it is all right with me. That is the business of the managers and the club owners. The business of the commissioner is to interpret the rules of baseball, and to enforce them. - KLM

An inconvenient fact from those that think they know but don’t.

Signature 

Posted: 01 February 2013 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-07

Thank you for the information.

Signature 

1 of 2