Samardzija will Startcha
Posted: 04 March 2013 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  37364
Joined  2006-10-10

Jeff S. gets the Opening Day nod.

Jeff Samardzija will open the Cubs’ 2013 season where he finished with his best start of last season.

Cubs manager Dale Sveum named Samardzija as the Opening Day starter for the April 1 game against the Pirates at PNC Park.

“I’ve gone through some humbling baseball experiences in ‘09 and ‘10 that puts a lot of things into perspective,” Samardzija said Sunday. “I’m excited. I’ve said this before, just the best thing as an athlete is all your hard work, you see positive gains from it. It gets you to keep working hard and keep improving. You get a little taste of success and you want that to keep going. I feel that’s where I’m at now and I want to keep the ball rolling.”

Signature 

It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without violence.

Posted: 04 March 2013 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  42251
Joined  2006-10-06

Alphabet Boy is #1!

Signature 

“Fuck the kingsguard, fuck the city, fuck the king.”

M: You don’t trust anyone, do you?
James Bond: No.
M: Then you’ve learned your lesson.

Posted: 04 March 2013 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Hall of Famer
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15636
Joined  2007-11-23

Samardzija has come a long way since spring training last year. He had made only a total of five starts before making 28 starts last season. Bill James is predicting that Samardzija will post a 10-11 record in 2013. Bill James isn’t always right though. He predicted Fernando Rodney would have one save and he wound up with 48 saves in 2012.

Jeff has gone from not even being a regular starter before the 2012 season to being the opening day starter in 2013. Best thing about Samardzija is that he issued 56 walks in 2012 in 174 innings. That is only six more than he issued in 2011 in 88 innings. The most negative stat is that he allowed 20 homers in 174 innings in 2012, after giving up 5 in in 88 innings in 2011. That is four times as many home runs in only about twice the innings pitched. Still think Samardzija is capable of winning 15 games this season.

Signature 

I sign every autograph I can for kids because I remember myself at that age. I think it’s ridiculous that some guys won’t sign for a kid.

Jim Thome

Posted: 04 March 2013 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-10

If they don’t dump everyone then, yeah, I can see him posting 15 wins.

Signature 

It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without violence.

Posted: 04 March 2013 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Hall of Famer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23

If the Cubs do a salary dump at mid-season, then all bets are off. Plus am counting on Anthony Rizzo, Brett Jackson and Ian Stewart to have good offensive seasons. It would help to have some offensive production from the catcher position.

Signature 

I sign every autograph I can for kids because I remember myself at that age. I think it’s ridiculous that some guys won’t sign for a kid.

Jim Thome

Posted: 04 March 2013 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-10-10

For Jackson to break with the team they’d have to dump Soriano. They won’t bring him up to be a bench player. He needs too many at bats.

Signature 

Posted: 04 March 2013 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Hall of Famer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23
BigBadBill - 04 March 2013 10:33 AM

For Jackson to break with the team they’d have to dump Soriano. They won’t bring him up to be a bench player. He needs too many at bats.

Jackson is hitting a lot better than Soriano this spring and Soriano could still be traded before opening day.

See some teams are sending players to minor league camps already, so Cubs could be making some cuts this week or next.

Signature 

Jim Thome

Posted: 04 March 2013 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  23998
Joined  2006-10-07

As Bill mentioned yesterday on the FP, the Cubs appear to be ready to dump Soriano regardless.

Signature 

I only watch TV if someone is keeping score.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent Isaac Asimov

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.  Groucho Marx

Ubi caritas et amor, deus ibi est

Trying to make anything completely foolproof underestimates the ingenuity of complete fools. Douglas Adams

Posted: 04 March 2013 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Hall of Famer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23
SouthSideSlim - 04 March 2013 02:29 PM

As Bill mentioned yesterday on the FP, the Cubs appear to be ready to dump Soriano regardless.

Might be the best thing for the Cubs to get rid of him before the season starts, since his fielding range is now knee to knee. If it is hit on either side of his knees he is in a heap of trouble.

Signature 

Jim Thome

Posted: 04 March 2013 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Hall of Famer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23

Indians bashed our Cubs 13-5 with a 20 hit attack. Nick Swisher and Lonnie Chisenhall were a combined 6-7 with 7 RBI. Broooks Raley and Ty’Relle Harris won’t have to worry about starting the season in Wrigley Field, after allowing a combined 7 ER, 9 H, 4 BB in 3.1 IP and both left the game with ERA’s over 20.00.

Signature 

Jim Thome

Posted: 04 March 2013 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Hall of Famer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23

Since this page is about Samardzija...just as well post the Bill James predictions for Cubs since Samardzija starts season as No. 1 starter:

JEFF SAMARDZIJA - 10-11
EDWIN JACKSON - 11-11
SCOTT FELDMAN - 5-6...PREDICTION MADE BEFORE FELDMAN WAS TRADED TO CUBS SO BILL JAMES PROBABLY THOUGHT HE WOULD PITCH IN RELIEF
TRAVIS WOOD - 10-12
SCOTT BAKER - 9-10...PREDICTION MADE BEFORE BAKER WAS TRADED TO CUBS
MATT GARZA - 11-11

These six starters are predicted to post losing records and think Bill James should have predicted for Samardzija, Jackson and Garza to have winning records.

Signature 

Jim Thome

‹‹ The Cubs New Commercial      CUBS ALL STAR DL ››